29.8.13

Review: Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Published April 3rd, 2013
Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
385 pages (Hardcover)



Sybella arrives at the convent’s doorstep half mad with grief and despair. Those that serve Death are only too happy to offer her refuge—but at a price. The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to a life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of Death himself, He must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for? (From Goodreads)


I love this book!  I LOVE THIS BOOK!

I love the setting.  15th century Brittany is a nice change for someone who doesn't usually do historical.  The writing is that strong!  I mean, my knowledge of 15th century Brittany is pretty much non-existent, but I was instantly drawn in and embracing it!  I felt like I was there!  The conflict is awesome.  I loved the battle and the strategy and alliances and twists and turns!

I love the characters!  Sybella is a badass who's been through some serious shit.  She has some suicidal tendencies, and it was a joy to see her progression!  Then there is Beast, who is a f**king beast!  Again, badassery.  In Samantha's world, this instantly meant *swoon*!  The character development was amazing.  Every single character has depth and complexity that comes out through the story.

I love the plot!  Dark Triumph starts part way through the events of Grave Mercy (check out my review here), and explains what Sybella was up to during the first book.  Sybella's progression in dealing with her past while battling the political turmoil of the novel intertwined beautifully.  I also like that this book highlights more of a personal side to the series.  Grave Mercy focused more on the politics and history, but this time round we see more romance and personal relationships.  Robin LaFevers actually addresses this in an Author's Note at the end of the novel.  I'm glad that she does, because it was what I was thinking the whole time!  Dark Triumph was a perfect balance.

Dark Triumph is amazing and gorgeous and spectacular.  It will draw you in and tear your soul apart!  So, you know, go buy this book immediately!

2 comments:

  1. I loved both of her books too. Such a great series so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED Grave Mercy and have had Dark Triumph on my audible "shelf" since it was released in audio. I still haven't read it yet, but it's my next pick. I'm literally downloading it tonight.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!