16.9.13

Review: The Bitter Kingdom by Rae Carson

Published August 27th, 2013
Greenwillow Books
448 pages (Hardcover)



The epic conclusion to Rae Carson's Fire and Thorns trilogy. The seventeen-year-old sorcerer-queen will travel into the unknown realm of the enemy to win back her true love, save her country, and uncover the final secrets of her destiny.
Elisa is a fugitive in her own country.  Her enemies have stolen the man she loves in order to lure her to the gate of darkness.  As she and her daring companions take one last quest into unknown enemy territory to save Hector, Elisa will face hardships she's never imagined.  And she will discover secrets about herself and her world that could change the course of history.  She must rise up as champion-a champion to those who have hated her most.  (From Goodreads)


I AM NOT READY TO SAY GOODBYE TO THIS SERIES!  I had huge expectations for this book, The Bitter Kingdom did not disappoint.

The Bitter Kingdom was everything I wanted, plus some.  It's basically the badass save-Hector-and-the-world show.  A lot happens here, and it is all woven together beautifully.  It's intricate and crazy and infinitely fun.  Saving the world isn't simple, and Rae Carson pieced it together in a fantastic way.

We've watched Elisa develop from a insecure girl to a full-blown queen worthy of the title.  This is character development at it's finest folks.  Like, take notes.  She's negotiating and scheming and she never would have done that before!  Then there is Hector.  I LOVE HECTOR.  He's a certifiable badass and loyal and so madly in love with Elisa that I cried.  No joke, I cried.  As far as characters go, they felt so bloody real that I want them in my life.  This can be said about all of them too.  The relationship between Mara and Belen was fantastic.  Then there is Red, a new character to The Bitter Kingdom that made me so happy!  We can look at Storm, too, and see crazy development in him.

I'm attached to this world and don't want to let go.  I want more!  A seperate series about Belen and Mara?  Maybe Red when she grows up?  Some Rosario?  Enough questions are left open that *could* fuel more books.  I'm begging here.  Please give me more.  Please.

In summary, go check out The Girls of Fire and Thorns and The Crown of Embers, because The Bitter Kingdom was the best conclusion I could ask for. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this makes me very happy. I have Book 2 and need to get reading it. Even better: I won't have to wait for Book 3. I'm currently reading CROWN OF MIDNIGHT, so I'm going to be in full-on fantasy mode and ready to read some Rae Carson. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!