13.7.12

Book Review: The List by Siobhan Vivian

Published April1st, 2012
Push
332 pages (Hardcover)
An intense look at the rules of high school attraction -- and the price that's paid for them.

It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up.

This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two.  (From Goodreads)
 This book should be required reading for all high school students.

I think it may be an age thing, but there are some nasty kids in high school.  I was never popular or pretty, but I was never on the opposite end either.  I kind of floated through my first two years under the radar, until I got involved in student council.  By the time I finished grade 12, I knew a lot of people, but only had a few real friends.  My high school had it's fair share of bullying and drama, but I honestly tried to stay out of it.  I stood up for anyone who needed a helping hand, but tried my best not to get involved.

People need to realize that what you see may not be the whole story.  I particularly liked Bridget's story.  I've struggled with my weight and body image for much of my life, and have had thoughts very similar to her own.  None of my friends from high school likely know that.

But back to The List.  I really enjoyed following a week in the life of each of the characters.  They all struggled with their titles in very different ways, and I enjoyed seeing the progression.

I wanted more from one particular character.  Candace, the ugliest sophomore, had the tag line of "Beauty isn’t just skin-deep, btw."  I was expecting a real ugly personality, but I never got that.  She wasn't nice, but she wasn't awful either.


I really want to know about the characters developed in the future!  How had their lives changed by the time the graduate?  There were so many things left hanging that I really want to know.


Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. I love Vivian's writing, and I'm definitely planning on picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!