22.2.13

Book Review: The Indigo Spell by Richelle Mead

Published February 12th, 2013
Razorbill 
432 pages (Hardcover)
In the aftermath of a forbidden moment that rocked Sydney to her core, she finds herself struggling to draw the line between her Alchemist teachings and what her heart is urging her to do. Then she meets alluring, rebellious Marcus Finch--a former Alchemist who escaped against all odds, and is now on the run. Marcus wants to teach Sydney the secrets he claims the Alchemists are hiding from her. But as he pushes her to rebel against the people who raised her, Sydney finds that breaking free is harder than she thought. There is an old and mysterious magic rooted deeply within her. And as she searches for an evil magic user targeting powerful young witches, she realizes that her only hope is to embrace her magical blood--or else she might be next. (From Goodreads)
While I did enjoy The Indigo Spell, this may be my least favourite book from Richelle Mead's VA and Bloodlines series.  I can even give you an exact reason why...

Action.  There was not enough of it.  Sydney was finally starting to make a name for herself as a badass, and then this happened.  For a series of books built off of hand-to-hand combat against evil vampires and the more recent development of magic, very little happened in this book.  I won't even start on the underwhelming Marcus Finch.  The guy is just a big talker.

The saving grace here was the fact that I am so deeply committed to this series that virtually nothing could turn me off.  She could have killed Adrian and I would have been pissed but still loved the book.

The building romantic themes was what I enjoyed.  It's nice to see Sydney becoming a little more human (for lack of a better word...).  The ending was also well done, and sets up for what should be an interesting plot in The Fiery Heart.

Overall, I was underwhelmed but not angry with the book.  I just wanted more kickass.

Much love, Samantha
PS.  Thank you Richelle Mead for the quick Rose and Dimitri cameo.  I appreciate it greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!