22.8.13

Review: Star Cursed by Jessica Spotswood

Published June 18th, 2013
Putnam Juvenile
384 pages (Hardcover)



With the Brotherhood persecuting witches like never before, a divided Sisterhood desperately needs Cate to come into her Prophesied powers. And after Cate's friend Sachi is arrested for using magic, a war-thirsty Sister offers to help her find answers—if Cate is willing to endanger everyone she loves.

Cate doesn't want to be a weapon, and she doesn't want to involve her friends and Finn in the Sisterhood's schemes. But when Maura and Tess join the Sisterhood, Maura makes it clear that she'll do whatever it takes to lead the witches to victory. Even if it means sacrifices. Even if it means overthrowing Cate. Even if it means all-out war.

In the highly anticipated sequel to Born Wicked
, the Cahill Witch Chronicles continue Cate, Maura and Tess's quest to find love, protect family, and explore their magic against all odds in an alternate history of New England.  (From Goodreads)


OH MY GOD I HAVE NO WORDS TO DESCRIBE MY LOVE/PAIN RIGHT NOW !!

Born Wicked was one of my favourite books of last year, and Star Cursed didn't let me down!  I enjoyed ever single page of this book, minus the last couple, and that was only because my heart was ripped into a million little pieces.

Set in the late 1890's, Star Cursed continues on the world of witches in New England that Born Wicked created.  The world-building here is fantastic.  I was drawn in from the first page.  The idea that there are witches posing as students at a convent and religion extremist brothers felt real, as if it were actually happening around me.

The characters are simply fantastic.  I cannot complain about a single one of them or the development that occurs.  Cate is still one of the strongest protagonists out there.  Finn was probably my favourite to follow through the story, as he strays far away from his simple book-loving-gardener roots.  I also stand by what I said in my review of Born Wicked.  He is a refreshing change in a love interest, and isn't your typical panty-dropping-hott guy, but rather a quiet and reserved guy with glasses.  I LOVE IT!  

Jessica Spotswood also makes a great character that you want to hate so badly but cannot, also known as Maura.  If you don't feel for her, I don't know what to say to you.

The plot here is crazy engaging.  I don't know how many times I've said it here, but this book draws you in from start to finish.  If the politics and women-hating aspects of this society don't piss you off, the ending definitely will.  I don't mean that in a bad way.  It was a fantastic ending, but in an incredibly torturous way.  But back to the politics, there is such a deep message ingrained in here about equality, fate and the power in each of us that does not go missed.  This book isn't just fluff.  Star Cursed has layers and depth that move the reader.

With fantastic characters, awesome world-building and an ending that will leave you reeling, I cannot recommend Star Cursed enough!  This is by far one of the most underrated series out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!