6.5.13

Book Review: Hopeless by Colleen Hoover

Published December 17th, 2012
Self-Published
327 pages (eBook)
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.  (From Goodreads)
I don't even know what to say right now.  While not my favourite read ever, Hopeless was pretty amazing.  And by amazing I mean destructive.  And by destructive I mean I cried so f**king much.

When I first started this book, I was thinking that it would be like every other NA novel I've read.  While I loved how blatantly honest the characters were, I couldn't help but be distracted by some of the names.  Who names their child Seven?  Who changes their name from Seven to Six?  I just don't understand.

The dialogue sold this book.  I mentioned the honesty in this story.  The dialogue didn't feel scripted and the characters just said what was on their mind.  Sometimes that meant ridiculous run-on sentences but it was nice.  Call me crazy, but I could feel the emotions flowing out of my eReader.

Then things got crazy and my emotions went wild.  The tears were rolling and I just wanted to grab Holden and Sky and give them a giant hug.  I was crying right along with them.

I can't think of anyone I wouldn't recommend Hopeless to, but be ready for all the emotions.  And suspense.  And more emotions.  Totally worth it though.

Much love, Samantha
PS. Not an eBook person?  The paperback will be out on May 7th, 2013 by Atria Books!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED this book! I was really surprised by it as well, and it made me cry so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it, great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dialogue and emotion in this one sounds really good. I have been eyeing this one for a while!
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!