5.1.13

Book Review: Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Published June 14th, 2011
Egmont USA
390 pages (Hardcover)
One hour to rewrite the past . . . 

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened? (From Goodreads)
What took me so long to read this?!?!  Hourglass has an interesting take on time travel, a plot that managed to confuse and fascinate me, and some interesting characters.

I love time travel.  I think it's really interesting, but I am glad it's not scientifically possible (yet *shifty eyes*). No one needs to be travelling through time and messing with the past.  That's exactly what happens in Hourglass.  There was some serious meddling going down.

I'm not a huge fan of Emerson.  On one hand, she could easily kick my ass with her awesome martial art skills.  On the other hand, I just did not find her likable.  I'm not suggesting that she was a poorly written character, but simply that she didn't possess the qualities I look for in strong protagonists.  Beyond flipping Michael once, correct me if I'm wrong, I can't recall her ever actually using her badass-ness in any way.

Speaking of Michael, there may have been some insta-lust there.  I knew from the second he was introduced that I would be a fan of his.  I don't know how to explain why, but I do like his character.

At times I got a little annoyed, because it felt like the story was being dragged on.  Time travel is complicated, but I got a little confused when Michael would be explaining something, then drop the topic and suggest Emerson come back to it later.  Seriously, spit it out.

Overall, if you haven't done so yet, give Hourglass a read.  With a different take on time travel, I enjoyed the story, and plan to read Timepiece soon!

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. I agree about Michael and insta-love, but KALEB more than makes up for it. yum ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!