29.4.13

Book Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Published April 23rd, 2013
HarperTeen
323 pages (International Paperback)
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Iléa.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.
Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending. (From Goodreads)
I had to go back and read my review of The Selection (click here if you are curious) in order to try and understand why I thought that I needed to read this.

If my feelings were mixed before, they're not anymore.  I am not a fan.

Sorry, but that's the truth.  This love triangle has just gotten ridiculous, the characters no longer hold my interest, and absolutely nothing happens.  The story ends at the exact same place that it starts, but with two fewer objects girls.  America does not think, and that's why I can't stand her as a "strong" protagonist.  As soon as she has to deal with the realities of her situation, she acts like a little drama queen and throws a fit.  That isn't a strong protagonist in my eyes, and by the end of the second book in a trilogy, I want to see some semblance of strength.

If you loved The Selection, you'll likely enjoy The Elite.  It's a lot of the same type of story.  If you had problems like I did, I'm not so sure.  Will I read the last book of this trilogy?  I don't know.  I'd rather someone just tell me how it all ends (I'm Team Rebels Maxon).


Much love, Samantha

6 comments:

  1. When I see reviews on books I have not read I try to find something to say about them and often fall to the cover. I guess this time is no different, but wow what a cover, the colors alone are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, the cover on this book really does draw you in!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the first book but I also felt like I could go either way with this series. Hopefully I'll enjoy it though reading your review, I don't think I will. Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if you were on the fence, this book will push you to either loving it or not loving it.

      Delete
  3. I love your reviews. That is all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaa, thanks :) I just write my honest opinion because those are the reviews that I like to read.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!