22.10.12

Book Review: The Lost Prince by Julie Kagawa

Published October 23rd, 2012
HarlequinTeen
379 pages (Paperback)
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.
That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten. (From Goodreads)
Personally, I am apprehensive when authors do books like this, where secondary characters from one series become main characters in another.  This is even more true when I love the characters from the original series.  I don't want my favourites to become secondary.  However...

Julie Kagawa is simply too amazing.  Any worries I had about Ethan and how The Lost Prince would play out were quickly wiped away.  The Lost Prince is a roller coaster of emotions that left me in a comfortable place, but craving more.

Ethan had me wrapped around his finger instantly with his teenage angst.  Still angry about his sister's decision to live in the fairy realm, Ethan is not at all the character I expected him to be.  Perhaps I was still too caught up on him being a little kid, but his transition into adolescence was done well.  In fact, all of the characters were well developed, and I'm excited to see what future Kagawa has in store for them.  The complexity and back-stories are great.

The Lost Prince is written in a way that allows it to be read independent of the original Iron Fey series, but not in a way that makes it boring for those of us who have read the previous series.  My one problem with the story was this: all of the characters look like they're around the same age.  It's a little bit "trippy" to think of Ethan, Meghan and Kierran all looking about 17 years old, when there should be several years between each of them.

The Lost Prince had a couple plot twists I didn't expect, and left me with a few burning questions.  If you aren't afraid of spoilers, highlight the middle of this paragraph to see a few of those.  What will happen to Kenzie?  What about Kierran and Annwyl?  And what is up with Kierran and this new queen?  I have a feeling he made some sort of deal.  After all, the next book is called The Traitor Prince... <End of Spoilers.  Carry on.>  I particularly enjoyed how the ending left me with these questions, but wasn't a huge cliffhanger.

Yes, this is a longer review than I typically write, but The Lost Prince deserves it!  This book left me laughing and in tears.  Move over Meghan, Ash and Puck, because Ethan, Kenzie and Kierran are bringing it!  The Lost Prince will be on bookshelves tomorrow, October 23rd, 2012!

Much love, Samantha

2 comments:

  1. I've read most of the IRON FEY books (still have to finish one or two), and I really enjoyed them. I think this one will have to go on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love these books and completely recommend them! Sadly, they seem to keep popping up around the time that I'm writing midterm, and winning...

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!