16.10.12

Top Ten Tuesday: Best of Dystopian


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by the wonderful ladies over at

This week, the topic is...
Top Ten Favourite Dystopian Authors


Dystopian is one of my favourite genres, and all that likely stems from when I read 1984 by George Orwell in the 11th grade.  Since then, I have read some great dystopian, and some not-so-great dystopian.

So let's start with the great.  Suzanne Collins has set the standard for modern day dystopian with The Hunger Games.  Veronica Roth's Divergent series is great, mostly because I love a boy who can handle a gun.  That statement can extend to David Macinnis Gill's Black Hole Sun.  Veronica Rossi seemed to know exactly what I like when she wrote Through the Never Sky.  Moira Young must have done something right to have me drooling so badly in anticipation for Rebel Heart.

Then there are the authors who are awesome, but I need to read more of before they reach the above caliber.  Kimberly Derting's The Pledge was great, but I honestly have not read anything else by her.  Lauren Oliver and Tahereh Mafi similarly wrote great books, but I just need a little something more.

Then there is Beth Revis.  Does her Across The Universe series actually count in dystopian, or just sci-fi?  Regardless, she made the list.  She's that good.

As an honourable mention, I'm including Ally Condie.  Personally, I really, really did not enjoy Matched, but I seem to be in the minority.  Therefore, she must be doing something right.

So, there is my top ten.  What do you think?   Anyone you disagree with, or would have added?

Much love, Samantha

13 comments:

  1. I love dystopian books and your list is wonderful!
    Here's my TTT
    Ashley
    #BookNerd

    ReplyDelete
  2. After fantasy, dystopian is probably my favourite genre. I agree with a lot of the authors up here (my favourites being Suzanne Collins and Tahereh Mafi). I probably wouldn't include Beth Revis, not only because her books that I've read are sci-fi, but because I really did not enjoy either of them.

    I'd probably add James Dashner because The Maze Runner/Scorch Trials are awesome, Mira Grant (the Feed series), and Garth Nix (Shade's Children).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree that Beth Revis' books are more sci-fi, but they have a sort of dystopian aspect to them too, in my opinion. I've also been meaning to read James Dashner and Mira Grant!

      Delete
  3. Oh what's Black Hole Sun? I have to look that one up! I loved all the others! Dystopians are my fav genre and while there are TONS that are just bleh, the great ones are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Hole Sun sort of falls along the same lines as Across The Universe, where it is likely more Sci-Fi than anything else, but has a dystopian feel to it. I definitely recommend checking it out!

      Delete
  4. Yay for Dystopian! I picked it too! Most authors I included in my list too! I really want to read Across the Universe!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved 1984!
    I didn't like Matched either! So, you're definitely not alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see George Orwell on a Dystopia list, since you know, he's the MASTER to which all authors in the genre should bow down! Great list!

    Check out my Top Ten Favorite YA Contemporary Authors HERE!

    Also, I have a FANTASTIC giveaway of a SIGNED copy Lauren Oliver's new book, THE SPINDLERS, going on HERE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome list! Love dystopian! (Write it too! :D) My TTTs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Tuesday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. The WORLD of Matched is cool, but its the plot/action that seems to be lacking. Love your list, I can't wait to get to Rebel Heart. And Rossi's world is my favorite in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have got to read Across the Universe! Here's my TTT:http://aliceinreaderland.wordpress.com/2012/10/16/top-ten-favorite-contemporary-ya-authors/

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shamefully I usually read only 1 or 2 books by authors - even the ones I love - so it's hard for me to call them a "favorite." That said, I loved Roth, Oliver & Revis - although I've only read 2 books each.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with Veronica Roth! :) I like Oliver's MG stories more, actually.

    TTT fairytales authors @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!