16.12.13

Review: Stir Me Up by Sabrina Elkins

Published October 1st, 2013
HarlequinTEEN
268 pages (Kindle Edition)

Cami Broussard has her future all figured out. She'll finish her senior year of high school, then go to work full-time as an apprentice chef in her father's French restaurant, alongside her boyfriend, Luke. But then twenty-year-old ex-Marine Julian Wyatt comes to live with Cami's family while recovering from serious injuries. And suddenly Cami finds herself questioning everything she thought she wanted.

Julian's all attitude, challenges and intense green-brown eyes. But beneath that abrasive exterior is a man who just might be as lost as Cami's starting to feel. And Cami can't stop thinking about him. Talking to him. Wanting to kiss him. He's got her seriously stirred up. Her senior year has just gotten a lot more complicated… (From Goodreads)


Okay, so this was a good read, but kind of forgettable.

When I was reading it, I was really enjoying the story.  It was hot and swoon-worthy.  (Side note: Why are ski lodges so hot and romantic and a place to bring out all the feelings?!)  Let's be honest, what girl wouldn't want Julian?  The aspect of self-discovery was a nice touch.  We get to watch Cami grow into her own person and reach for her own goals.  We get to watch Julian heal, battle his own demons and discover what he wants out of his life.  Plus, that ending was so friggin' cute and romantic.  There aren't words for that ending.

The problem is that I found it somewhat forgettable.  It's been a couple weeks since I read the book and, until I copied the description above, I had forgotten what the book was entirely.  The description sparked my memory on the parts I loved, but there are likely large chunks I don't remember.  I didn't remember the character names.  I had forgotten that ending I loved.  I forgot the ski lodge?!  I'm not sure what the story was missing, but there needed to be something to make me remember.  As nice as the cover is, it tells me nothing about the story.

I do recommend Stir Me Up.  It was hot and I really did enjoy reading it.  There was just a little something missing.  That wow-factor wasn't there for me.  Still, I wouldn't pass up on the sexy Julian time.

1 comment:

  1. Swoonworthy is definitely a good thing, though forgettable is kind of crummy. I might have to check this one out sometime, since I really do love the swoon. I don't so much love covers of almost kisses. I'm more likely to pick a book up if it doesn't have a smoochy cover. Still, you kind of had me at "sexy Julian time". ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!