10.9.12

Book Review: Black Hole Sun by David Macinnis Gill

Published August 24th, 2010
Greenwillow Books
368 pages (Paperback)
Durango's only 17, but he's fearless. He will take on any mission--as long as it is dangerous, impossible, and hopeless. Fortunately for Durango, he's also got Mimi, a symbiotic nano-implant, to keep him on the straight and narrow, and a crew of loyal buddies--male, female, and other.  (From Goodreads)
I stepped out of my comfort zone with this one.  Science Fiction usually isn't my thing, but the cover instantly caught my interest (that boy is HOT!).  Add in the fact that the front had an endorsement from Suzanne Collins, plus one on the back from Louise Halse Anderson, and I was sold.

Black Hole Sun was slow getting going, but I find that typical of most Sci-Fi I've read.  It takes a long time to get the setting and story established.  Once it got going though, it was impossible to put down!

The was so much action crammed into this book that I was completely engrossed.  Even when the characters weren't in battle, a gun always seem to be pointed at someone.  It made for a thrilling adventure, adding to the suspense of the whole story.

It took me a while to get used to Mimi, a type of AI implanted in Durango's head.  They converse throughout the book, but not vocally.  I kept wondering why the other characters weren't reacting to their conversation, having to remind myself that it's all in his head.

We even have some romance worked into the story.  The scenes between Durango and Aine left me laughing, and I kept wanting Durango and Vienne to acknowledge there feelings.  I actually liked how the romance wasn't front and center through the whole book.

Overall, I loved Black Hole Sun.  The non-stop action and futuristic, not-so-great world left me feeling like I had just watched an awesome action movie.  Warning though, if you're not into violence, this book may not be up your alley.  If you don't mind it, I suggest checking it out!

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

  1. 17! Jail bait alert! Haha.

    Thanks for the review and rec -- I am always on the lookout for a good sci-fi book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!