13.9.12

Book Review: Matched by Ally Condie

Published November 1st, 2010
Dutton Juvenile
366 pages (Hardcover)
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate... until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow. (From Goodreads)
 I'll start with about the only positive thing I have to say here... I really like the cover.

I didn't hate this book, but I did not enjoy it.  I forced myself to finish Matched, despite having no interest whatsoever.

For a dystopian novel, it really wasn't exciting.  In my eye, action is a requirement for good dystopian.  The whole point is the battle against oppression, and I wasn't feeling it.  At all.

The setting and story line felt like a rehash of every dystopian ever.  The characters weren't dynamic.  The "love triangle" held no drama.  It's been a while since I have had to struggle so much to get through a book.

To be fair, this was written before many of the dystopian-style novels that I love, so my vision may be a bit jaded.  However, my point stands.  Good dystopian should be able to stand the test of time (think 1984).  Matched will likely end up as a series I will never finish, and I am okay with not knowing what happens to Cassia, Ky and Xander.

Much love, Samantha

2 comments:

  1. Sam,

    I loved the world with the "100" poems, songs, etc, and that liking knowledge was bad-ass. But Crossed was SO DULL. I might not ever find out what happens in the last one.

    Wait, lets be real, I cannot help but finish series, no matter how painful. I will update you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "100" thing was okay, but it could have been done SO much better, in my honest opinion.

      Please do read the last one for me! If it's super awesome, I *may* give this series another chance. You're my guinea pig. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!