29.9.12

Book Review: Die For Me by Amy Plum

Published May 5th, 2011
HarperTeen
341 pages (Hardcover)
In the City of Lights, two star-crossed lovers battle a fate that is destined to tear them apart again and again for eternity.

When Kate Mercier's parents die in a tragic car accident, she leaves her life--and memories--behind to live with her grandparents in Paris. For Kate, the only way to survive her pain is escaping into the world of books and Parisian art. Until she meets Vincent.

Mysterious, charming, and devastatingly handsome, Vincent threatens to melt the ice around Kate's guarded heart with just his smile. As she begins to fall in love with Vincent, Kate discovers that he's a revenant--an undead being whose fate forces him to sacrifice himself over and over again to save the lives of others. Vincent and those like him are bound in a centuries-old war against a group of evil revenants who exist only to murder and betray. Kate soon realizes that if she follows her heart, she may never be safe again. (From Goodreads)
As I'm reading this book, I was writing my "Love List" post.  Things kept popping up in this book from my list, and I had a moment where I was really impressed.

Then the characters put on leather pants.  Well done, Amy Plum.

I really enjoyed Die For Me.  With a strong pace and beautiful setting, it's hard not to fall for Amy and Vincent's story.

I loved the Parisian setting.  Paris itself is just such a magical place, it becomes easy to believe in the revenants.  The whole idea of the revenants is interesting, albeit a tiny bit sadistic.  A compulsion to die over and over again?  Interesting, but kind of grim.

I was a little concerned for the characters.  Did Kate go to any therapy sessions after her parents death?  I think she could benefit from them.  Why is everything so black and white for her?  And Vincent, you are a stalker.  You may not be Edward-level creepy, but you do need to calm down a bit.  You aren't fooling me with your gorgeous French-ness.

Die For Me didn't have an overly suspenseful ending, but rather left you in a comfortable place of craving more.  I will definitely be reading Until I Die very soon!

Much love, Samantha

3 comments:

  1. I love books that are set in Paris! What better than the most romantic and prettiest city in the world, huh?! I'm just waiting to read this book. My fellow blogger, Janhvi has a copy. I'll borrow it ASAP! Great review, Samantha! :)

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the setting, but I found that the characters lacked of something special. And indeed, Vincent was a bit creepy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been interested in reading this series and your review has really made me eager! Glad it had a strong pace and was very suspenseful.

    Alex @ Possession of Books

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!