21.7.12

Book Review: Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

Published June 26, 2012
HarlequinTeen
304 pages (Paperback)
I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life.... (From GoodReads)
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS.  READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Words do not describe the way I loved this book.  Action!  Suspense!  Romance!  Ajhbdfnb...

This book was dark and complex, but absolutely wonderful.  So these are a few of my favourite things...
  1. Kaylee and Tod.  While I was never on Team Tod, I should have been.  These two are perfect for one another.  Tod is everything Nash wasn't for Kaylee, plus some.  It's almost disgustingly cute at times.  Why can't I have a reaper boyfriend?
  2. Nash's drunk scene.  I always liked Nash.  As much as I love Kaylee and Tod together, I really feel bad for Nash.  Good people can fall into bad things.  I really loved his drunk scene and how vulnerable it made him.  So, Nash, if you ever need someone to talk to late at night, my door will be open.  ;-)
  3. Sabine.  She is my favourite character.  I always love the badass, sarcastic, occasional assholes.  But she grows a bit in this book, too.  I never thought I would hear her call Kaylee a friend.  We also see more of her vulnerable side.  I can't wait to see how Sabine develops further in With All My Soul.
  4. Main character deaths.  It's a love/hate thing for me.  As much as it sucks to see a character you love get killed, it can do so much for the story.  And Rachel Vincent is pretty damn good at killing characters.
I've enjoyed every book of this series, with If I Die being the only one I didn't read immediately after it's release.  If you had asked me after My Soul To Steal, I would have never predicted how invested I have become in these books.  The characters are wonderful.  The story is wonderful.  Everything about them is simply wonderful.

I can't wait for the next book, but am terrified of what Rachel Vincent will do.  With All My Soul is the last of the Soul Screamers, and I have a feeling we're in for an insane ending!

Much love, Samantha

1 comment:

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!