9.7.12

Book Review: Seriously... I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres

October 4th, 2011
Grand Central Publishing
241 pages (Hardcover)
"Sometimes the greatest things are the most embarrassing." Ellen Degeneres' winning, upbeat candor has made her show one of the most popular, resilient and honored daytime shows on the air. (To date, it has won no fewer than 31 Emmys.) Seriously... I'm Kidding, Degeneres' first book in eight years, brings us up to date about the life of a kindhearted woman who bowed out of American Idol because she didn't want to be mean. Lively; hilarious; often sweetly poignant.  (From GoodReads)
This book was not that funny.

When I picked up this book I was expecting one big Ellen monolouge, like at the beginning of her show.  But it just didn't cut it.  Yes, there were a couple jokes that made me laugh, but overall I was let down.

I have a theory though.  I think this book would be better as an audiobook.  Normally, I can't stand audiobooks.  However, I think the funny-ness factor would be stronger if Ellen read her book to me.

The best part of the book is when she is discussing gift giving.  I have always stood by the belief that my birthday is the best, because it is the perfect distance from Christmas.  Then I read this...
Anyway, if your birthday is on Christmas day and you’re not Jesus, you should start telling people your birthday is on June 9 or something. Just read up on the traits of a Gemini. Suddenly you’re a multitasker who loves the color yellow.
Can you guess when my birthday is...

Much love, Samantha 
P.S. I am also a multitasker who loves the colour yellow!  *gasp*

1 comment:

  1. Hi Samantha! Too bad this was a let down. And I totally forgot about her short AI stint until I read the blurb. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!