11.7.12

Road Trip Wednesday: Books To Movies


It's Road Trip Wednesday, a "Blog Carnival" hosted by the lovely ladies over at YA Highway.  They pose a weekly reading/writing question, and through the comments, you can explore and find out everyone's take on the topic.

This weeks question is...
What movie have you seen that actually (gasp) IMPROVED on the book?


Y'all are going to think I'm nuts, but I really don't watch a ton of movies.  I like going to the theatre, but I'm not one to actually sit down on my couch and watch something.  Plus, the movies I tend to like are the ones that everyone else doesn't.

Crazy attractive actors help... 
So, I'm going to cheat again, and choose a TV show.  I don't watch a ton of TV either, but let me say that THE VAMPIRE DIARIES is a huge improvement on the books.

I have the first book of the series, which I attempted to read way back before the show started.  I couldn't do it.  I couldn't get into the story at all, and felt no connection to any of the characters.  Then I started watching the television version with a good friend of mine, and we fell in love.

Honestly, I didn't see much of the last season, thanks to school.  I do plan on catching up on it though.  It was so much easier to connect with the characters on screen.  That being said, I have no idea how far the TV version strays from the original books.

How about you guys?  Any books-turned-movies you recommend I actually watch?

Much love, Samantha
P.S. In case you're curious, my favourite movies are Stick It (Missy Peregrym is badass) and The Covenant (ladies, please check out the swimming scene [Taylor Kitsch in very little clothing]).

13 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoyed both Stick It and The Covenant. I've seen the latter quite a few times! :)

    And I could not agree with you more on TVD. Elena was just awful for the whole first part of the first book, and I really just didn't enjoy it that much. In either the second or third one, it started out with one character referring to another as "lovely love" (ugh!) and that's when I dropped the series for good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Those two movies are underrated, in my humble opinion. And I never made it that far in the books, but you have convinced me to not even try.

      Delete
  2. I've heard this from several people about TVD! It's fun to see a book adapted for something other than a movie, and for the show to succeed at sort of branching out and becoming its own world. Good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love this vampire series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not gonna lie, I really enjoyed The Covenant. ;-) I haven't actually read or seen the Vampire Diaries. But I have seen the Secret Circle - I liked it better than the 1st book. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a big movie-goer, either--but that's because I don't get out much, and it costs too much for the whole family to go to the movies that often. So it's a really big deal for me to prefer a movie over a book.

    I've not seen TVD or read the books, so I can't comment. I do wonder, though, if seeing the series has made you at all curious to go back to the first book and see if you now have a better appreciation for it--or are the two so different that they're beyond comparison?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Vampire Dairies, the show and the book, but I'd have to agree with you. The book has a totally different feel to it. And it's weird, because not much happens throughout the book. I kept counting the pages when I was done reading it, and wondered how the author could put so little action scenes and still keep me reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely! It's been a few years since I read the books but when the series started I was more hooked on it than the series. I like the character developments more and I like that Stefan hasn't been a completely good guy. He's shown his darker sides. And while I'm not usually a fan of love triangles I like how this one has developed. Rather than straight away it's been gradual with Elena developing feelings for Damon, more so after Stefan went Ripper.

    And damn, I wish they hadn't picked Ian Somerhalder for Damon. I'm a tad smitten and I'm supposed to be the girl who doesn't go for the bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started reading Vampires Diaries after I watched the first season, and I stopped because of too much going on at school and haven't picked it back up yet, but I did notice that I like Elena better in the show than in the book. In the show she is so nice and caring, but in the book she is so shelfish and stuck up, I was quite surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah really great choice and I agree. Is a very good fast paced T.v show.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree. I was going to say this on my post but didn't cuz I had enough movie example. I read the first few VD books but I love the TV series way more. Elena was so unlikeable in the books and you can't go wrong with Ian Somerhalder and Paul Wesley. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I haven't seen the tv show, but yes, people seem to love it. Might have to check it out! And ha, I love Stick It too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!