23.7.12

Book Review: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks

Published May 22nd, 2012
Feiwel And Friends
336 pages (Hardcover)
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance. (From Goodreads)
I'm going to start with a quote, cause there is a little misconception I need to address...
"I'm not even tan-white.  I'm Canadian-tourist white."
Okay, we do get sun up here in the great white north.  In fact, it can get quite hot up here.  And the snow actually reflects the UV rays.  Don't underestimate the ability of a determined Canadian to get a tan in the middle of winter.

Now, to Of Poseidon.   Overall, it was a good book.  I admire an author that can successfully stray away from dystopian and vamipire writing (not that I have anything against dystopian or vamipire novels [I kinda love them]).

That being said, the whole Syrena aspect of the book wasn't what held my attention.  The romance in this book was killer, especially in latter portions of the book.  The chemistry between Galen and Emma was fantastic.  Heck, I even loved the romance between Rayna and Toref.

The dialogue was another great aspect of the book.  The connection I made to the characters made me feel like I was sitting on the beach with them, in a completely unforced conversation.  Plus, it's no secret that I love me some sarcastic, jackass characters.

One of my favourite scenes is a conversation between Toref and Galen.  I love how they see the human world from a perspective most humans would never consider.  I won't give anything away, but Toref offers some wise words that really stuck with me:
"Humans are creepier than I thought.  Why pretend to be something you're not?"
If you're looking for a beachy read with great romance, Of Poseidon is for you!

Much love, Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I absolutely love reading them and responding!